New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 4)
Dunedin and Auckland
- Dunedin: Up to 17 weeks full-time; part-time options available; Auckland: 16 weeks full-time
- Dunedin: February, July and October; Auckland: January, April, June and August
Dunedin15 October 201821 December 2018 - 4 January 2019
Dunedin18 February 201915 April 2019 - 26 April 2019
Dunedin22 July 2019
Want to improve your English skills?
Study English at Otago Polytechnic to prepare for further study, make new friends and experience New Zealand culture.
When you study with us you will:
- learn English from teachers who are very patient and understanding.
- work in small groups to practise your speaking.
- meet native speakers and listen to guest speakers.
- gain study skills through self-directed learning and group work.
This Certificate is for upper-intermediate English speakers who want to do further English-language or subject study in an academic context. It is a nationally-recognised qualification. It can lead to academic study at Otago Polytechnic, or you can use it to transfer to other study institutes in New Zealand.
- We will test you and place you at the right level when you arrive. You may not be enrolled into the Certificate level that you apply for.
- International students need a visa to study with us for more than three months.
At our Auckland International Campus, this programme is delivered through Future Skills Academy in a sub-contract arrangement between Otago Polytechnic and Future Skills.
If you're studying this programme at the Auckland International Campus:
- The New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 4) is only offered to students who intend to study a Level 7 programme at the Auckland International Campus.
- You are expected to have an IELTS 5.5 (or equivalent) with no band score lower than 5.0*.
- We will test you when you arrive to ensure that we offer you the correct level of English tuition.
*This criteria is based on the Level 7 programme entry criteria of IELTS 6.0 - which students are expected to reach upon completion of New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 4).
When you complete this programme you will be able to:
- understand the main ideas and key supporting details of moderately complex spoken and written information on familiar and unfamiliar topics
- participate effectively in sustained, spoken academic discourse
- write detailed, well developed and moderately complex academic texts
- 20-22 hours a week in class, guided by your teacher
- 10-14 hours a week for self-directed study
You will need to buy the coursebook Oxford EAP Intermediate. Otago Polytechnic will purchase the book for students, and students will buy the book at a discounted price from Otago Polytechnic. The cost will be $87.99.
This programme prepares you for further study in our certificate, diploma and degree programmes.
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.