Auckland or online for international students outside of New Zealand.
This programme is also offered at our Dunedin Campus. Visit op.ac.nz for programme details.
- 16 weeks full-time
Face-to-face learning on campus in Auckland OR online learning by distance for international students outside of New Zealand
- February, April, July and October
Online for international students outside of NZ7 February 202310 April 2023 - 21 April 2023
Online for international students outside of NZ24 April 202326 June 2023 - 21 July 2023
Online for international students outside of NZ24 July 202325 September 2023 - 6 October 2023
Online for international students outside of NZ9 October 202311 December 2023 - 2 February 2024
Auckland International Campus7 February 202310 April 2023 - 21 April 2023
Auckland International Campus24 April 202326 June 2023 - 21 July 2023
Auckland International Campus24 July 202325 September 2023 - 6 October 2023
Auckland International Campus9 October 202311 December 2023 - 2 February 2024
Dunedin20 February 2023
Dunedin17 July 2023
Want to improve your English skills?
Study English at Otago Polytechnic to prepare for further study, make new friends and experience New Zealand culture.
When you study with us you will:
- learn English from teachers who are very patient and understanding
- work in small groups to practise your speaking
- meet native speakers and listen to guest speakers
- gain study skills through self-directed learning and group work.
This Certificate is for upper-intermediate English speakers who want to do further English-language or subject study in an academic context. It is a nationally-recognised qualification. It can lead to academic study at Otago Polytechnic, or you can use it to transfer to other study institutes in New Zealand.
At our Auckland International Campus, this programme is delivered through Future Skills Academy in a sub-contract arrangement between Otago Polytechnic and Future Skills.
- You must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years)
- Reading band 5.0
- Writing band 5.5
- Speaking band 5.0
- Listening band 5.0, OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
- We will test you when you arrive to ensure that we offer you the correct level of English tuition.
When you finish this programme you will be able to:
- understand the main ideas and key supporting details of quite complex spoken and written information on familiar and unfamiliar topics
- take part effectively in sustained, spoken academic conversation
- write detailed, well-developed and quite complex academic texts.
Your offshore, online study journey will begin with an online orientation. This session will cover introductions to staff, tips for academic success, and wellbeing information, among other things.
All courses offered at the Auckland Campus use Moodle, which is an online learning management system (LMS). The use of the Moodle LMS means that no matter where you are, you have great access to all your course content.
You also get access to Office 365, including Microsoft Teams. This means you'll be able to collaborate with your classmates and work on certain tasks which you have been given by your lecturers.
And, online students have access to the same services as students on campus. This includes online learning support, which will be available via Microsoft Teams. All online students will also have remote access to our library.
You will be expected to spend about 300 hours per Study Block on your course work. This includes both scheduled class time and self-directed study.
This programme prepares you for further study in our certificate, diploma and degree programmes. Find out more information here.