- One year full-time
Please note: This programme is also available for international students at our Dunedin Campus. Find out more >
Focus on the skills you need to work effectively and successfully in a range of operational roles in business.
All business organisations need highly capable and competent members of a team who demonstrate the potential to lead staff, ensure targets align with strategic objectives, manage projects, and contribute to business planning to achieve high performance and productivity.
This programme is very practical and, with courses such as Business Environment, Leadership and Organisational Planning, will give you the skills you need to make you a valued employee who can contribute from day one in an organisation.
A great springboard into further study, graduates of this programme are eligible to enter the second year of our Bachelor of Applied Management degree. You could also enter other relevant industry or professional qualifications at Level 6 or above.
This programme teaches you to think conceptually and to adapt to change. It's designed to allow you to:
- apply a broad range of generic business knowledge and skills as well as specialised knowledge and skills in your selected field of business
- be proactive to changes in the local, national and global business environment
- demonstrate business skills including problem solving, decision-making, negotiating, and using technology effectively
- develop and manage innovative approaches to business practice
- practice business in a legal, sustainable, ethical and culturally-appropriate manner
- appreciate the impact of different cultures on business practice in New Zealand
- communicate, collaborate and build networks effectively with a diverse range of individuals, teams and organisations
- gather and select information from a diverse range of sources to inform business practice
- take responsibility for continued learning and career development.
You will study eight courses during this programme, each worth 15 credits.
- Business Functions
- Business Environment
- Organisations in a New Zealand Context
- Principles of Change
- Organisational Planning
- Organisational Management and Compliance
- Project Management.
It is expected that you will study for 37.5 hours per week, including a minimum of 8 hours per week in structured direct learning, some hours in an applied workplace or learning environment and up to 27 hours per week in self-directed study.
- The minimum academic entry criteria is NCEA Level 2 including 10 UE literacy credits; however it is preferred that applicants have achieved NCEA Level 3.
- Students older than 20 years of age must have equivalent life/work experience or an equivalent qualification to the above.
- International students will be individually assessed to ensure they meet the entry requirements. Click here for equivalent academic entry requirements by country.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
Our Bridging to business programme (New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation Level 4) offers the perfect pathway into this qualification.
If you need to improve your English to apply for this programme, you could apply for one of our New Zealand Certificate in English Language programmes which we offer at our Auckland International Campus and online.
For more information, please reach out to a member of our international marketing team for a chat.
Regional Head, Greater China and East Asia
+64 27 336 2627
International Market Manager
Rest of the world
+64 27 546 2737
Rest of the world
+64 27 586 3699