International +64 9 309 0301
New Zealand 0800 111 212
AIC hero 1920x600 move to nz


Get ready for your move to New Zealand

Here are some practical things to think about and organise before you move to New Zealand. We recommend you start a “to-do” list as well as use our handy Travel Checklist so you don't forget anything. 

Visa information and immigration

You will need a current student visa to study at OPAIC. Visit Immigration New Zealand to find everything you need to know about the type of visa you need. Think about what you want to do, for example you may wish to work while you're studying or apply for jobs in New Zealand after you graduate. You can apply for your student visa online which is the fastest and easiest way to do it. 

This website also lists the contact details for your closest Immigration New Zealand office, which is very important information to note down before you travel here.

What documents do I need for my student visa?

  • Your OPAIC Offer of Place letter (sent once you have been accepted)
  • Receipt for payment of your course fees
  • Evidence of sufficient funds for living expenses
  • Return international air ticket or evidence of sufficient funds to buy one

Your Offer of Place letter will outline your course costs which you must pay first to your nearest New Zealand embassy, consulate or immigration office. Once paid, you will receive a receipt of payment from OPAIC. Submit all documents and required proof to your nearest New Zealand embassy, consulate or immigration office.

For programmes longer than 24 months, you will also need to provide very recent medical and x-ray certificates. If you are over 17 years of age, you will need a police certificate to show that you are of good character. See the New Zealand Immigration website for more details.

If you are still unsure about something, please contact us.